Laundry rooms can be clean, design- worthy, and organized spaces.
I used to have a complete mess of a laundry room. So embarrassing that I wouldn’t dare take you in it. When we first moved to our home, our laundry room and mudroom were combined into the tiniest little space off the garage. It was a disaster. One of the areas, that I ended up hating and wanting to change in our home. When we finished our basement, I decided to carve out an area for a laundry room. Though my preference wouldn’t be to have our laundry room in the basement, it was a better option than keeping the space as it was. This allowed us to create a designated mudroom space off the garage and a laundry room of its own. It’s definitely not a large space, more like a closet, but I do love that I can complete my laundry without stepping over shoes and muddy sports gear!
Today is our next installment in our Room by Room series. I hope you’ve enjoyed getting a look around our home and taken away some tips and inspiration for your own space! When it comes to our laundry room space, there are a few space savers I added to make our small space laundry area more functional and organized.
Organizing a Functional Small Space Laundry Area
- Sliding Barn Door- To save space and not impede on the adjoining living space, we installed a sliding barn door for our laundry area. When we aren’t working on laundry, we can slide the door closed and it is a pretty addition to the room.
- A folding laundry table- I wanted somewhere to fold laundry in this small area, so we had a small folding table built which is easily tucked out of the way when we don’t need it. I put a stool there and I can sit and fold laundry while watching TV in the other room. It’s the little things, right?
- Cabinets- A row of cabinets above the washer and dryer store all the laundry supplies in one spot out of sight. If you opt for open storage, I recommend putting your supplies in pretty containers and bins.
- Add the little things- don’t forget about the little things, like a trash can, hamper to sort laundry in, and a basket to throw loose change etc. in. You want your space to be equipped with everything you need to complete your job.
- Add the pretty- laundry rooms should still be styled and pretty spaces that you enjoy being in. I added a wall of family photos by taping them up with washi tape. I can change it out as I want and I love looking at our fun gallery when sorting and folding laundry.
Here are the other week’s of our Room by Room series if you need to catch up.
To life feeling like home!
Sharing at THESE great parties!