In my last post, 5 Tips to Making the Most of Thrifting, we talked about why I thrift and I gave you 5 tips to consider before starting your thrifting adventure. Today, I want to share some of my favorite things to hunt for while thrifting and what I can never pass up!
1. Furniture– I have found so many of my wood pieces in my home at a thrift store. The old saying, they don't make it like they used too could definitely apply to furniture these days! Many of the older pieces I have found are solid wood. A little clean up and paint, and you can create a beautiful unique piece of furniture to serve your needs in your home. The quality is better and the price tag cannot be beat. I've never bought upholstered pieces at a thrift store. Mainly because I don't sew but if you are handy and are willing to make a slipcover or recover them, then they may prove to be a good investment.
Here are some of my favorite pieces that I've purchased at a thrift store.
2. Dishes- I love collecting dishes and I never pass up the aisles filled with china and other dishes. Mixing and matching dish sets are a an easy way to update your table settings and give them a unique flavor. Some times you will luck out and find a whole set, but even if you don't, buy what you find and keep your eye out for more pieces in the future. Add it to your running list of items to hunt for and/ or just delight in the beauty of a single piece and use it for display or mixing with other dishes of a similar color palette or pattern.
3. Silver and Brass Items- Quality silver and brass items are plentiful at the thrift stores. I love collecting these items to not only display but also to use in my decor and displays. Both are reminders of a more elegant time and add charm and warmth to your home style. You can see a whole post on my silver collection below and also a table setting post where I used my thrift store brass candlesticks.
4. Mirrors and Artwork- I found a number of mirrors either brass or wood at thrift stores. Brass ones I have been able to use just as is and wood ones I have updated with just a few coats of paint. There is always a big section of art and a lot of it will not be your style, but do consider the frames. Even if the art isn't what you want, sometimes you can repurpose the frame or change out the art for a new piece economically. The below brass mirror I picked up for $10. Paired with thrifted brass and milk glass pieces, it makes a really beautiful mantel.
5. Items to Upcycle- I love a good challenge and buying items from a thrift store to repurpose or upcycle can be a great way to personalize your home. DIY and craft project ideas are plentiful at a thrift store.
Here are some of my favorite thrift store upcycles!
I hope that you found today's post inspiring! There is so much goodness to be had at your local thrift stores if you have the time and the inspiration!
Many of my finds, are items I've curated for White Cottage Home Store, so be sure to check out the ever-changing selection.
I’d love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel. Every time a new video is made, you will be notified so you don’t miss a single one!